Tuesday, April 9, 2013

College Graduation Season

Being a soon to be graduate I have been searching for jobs for jobs both in and out of my field and most that I have found with full time pay are jobs that require years of experience. While looking on the internet I came across an article titled "Why College Graduates are Working Low Wage Jobs". This struck my interest since most of the jobs I have been applying for are minimum wage jobs, even jobs with in my field.
The article talks about how during the recession both low wage and middle wage jobs were lost but since then more low wage jobs have been added than middle wage. Unfortunately this means that college graduates are less likely to contribute to the economy because of student loan debt and non college graduates are going to find it harder to compete with college graduates.
Since having a college degree is as common as having a twitter I think a lot of college graduates are just going to take any job they can get even if the wage is to low and not in their desired field. The competition in the job field today is forcing former students to settle until they have enough experience to search for higher quality jobs.

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2013/04/01/1801511/why-college-graduates-are-increasingly-working-minimum-wage-jobs/?mobile=nc

No comments:

Post a Comment