Thursday, May 2, 2013

Social Media

I recently read an article by the Wall Street Journal that talks about how Facebook has seen a drop in users since their peak in August 2012. The article talks about how the number of users is measured by how many people log into Facebook through their PC and the Facebook's user-ship isn't getting smaller its actually growing because of mobile devices. Although the numbers of Facebook users on computers is falling, Facebook is seeing a boom in their mobile apps. I think tis is something really important to look at, the media today is changing completely with social media and the way people are consuming. With the availability of smart phones more and more people do not go on the internet through computers anymore, they just use their cell phones. As far as Facebook is concerned, I believe that their days are numbered. As a young mass communications student I get to see what today's generation is into as far as media consumption and I have seen a spike in Twitter user's compared to Facebook and I think this trend will keep happening. Just like Myspace, Facebook will be a social media site of the past with only older generations logging on thinking its cool. Just in the past year I would have to say that my use of Facebook has been cut in half, especially now that I have a smartphone. What doesn't work about the site for me is that 1. its known to be an eye sore for employers. 2. you can never get off of Facebook which I don't like at all. 3. It's just not cool anymore. The world of social media is expanding and although Facebook was one of the trail blazers in the movement they are slowly getting push out for newer "cooler" sites.

http://stream.wsj.com/story/corporate-intelligence/SS-2-60962/SS-2-225003/

No comments:

Post a Comment